Invitation to Tender: Viewing Tower – Design and Build
November 12, 2019
We are offering a design and build contract for the roofed interpretation space – this will take the form of a Viewing Tower. We don’t have planning permission yet so we are proposing a two phase contract;
- Phase 1 to agree the design; prepare drawings for the planning application and deal with any requests for further information.
- Phase 2 – pending successful planning outcome – construction of the viewing tower.
This will include:
- Reviewing the technical feasibility
- Ground investigations (if required) to determine structural requirements
- Preparation of concept drawings for the project team to agree final design
- Preparation of design drawings for planning application
- Assisting the project team with any technical enquiries or requests for further information during the planning application / review / consultation process
- Mobilising contractors to build the tower
- Constructing associated access boardwalk
- Being responsible for any H&S / CDM regulations.
Materials and Final structure
We would expect the materials to be sympathetic to the area. Ideally the tower will be maintenance free and vandal proof.
A large consideration will be avoiding damage to the SAC and Ramsar site.
As a guide we anticipate the final structure to be no higher than 5 metres.
Our preferred location is on the edge of Whixall Moss NNR, within the SAC and Ramsar designation and adjacent to the canal. The all ability trail finishes here and we recommend a short section of boardwalk to enable access off the all ability trail. The peat depth in this area is approximately 4m.
A site visit for interested parties will be held on 26th November 2019 at 10.30am.
As a guide we expect this to cost in the region of £45,000.
All quotes should include the project reference – LIFE15/NAT/UK/000786 – Marches Mosses BogLIFE Project.
Shropshire Wildlife Trust exists to protect wildlife for the future; sustainability is at the heart of the Trust’s activities. However, we recognise that through our operations we can have an adverse impact on the environment. We will therefore seek to minimise any negative environmental impacts and to achieve continuous improvement in our environmental performance.
We seek tenders that are in keeping with our Environmental procurement policy. For further information please see appended Environmental Procurement Policy and appended Environmental Sustainability Policy.
Please supply a response including:
- A covering letter explaining your past experience and suitability for the contract
- Examples of previous work and references
- An overview of your methodology and approach
- Detail of the materials you will use, how you will meet the brief, what practises will support SWT’s environmental considerations and what your availability is for 2020
- What regulations or standards you work to, what training employees are given etc
- Project schedule with milestones
- Total cost for each phase of the contract (incl VAT if relevant)
Your tender response must remain open for acceptance by SWT for a period of 90 days from the Tender Response Deadline. A tender response not valid for this period may be rejected.
The successful supplier will be required to complete an approved contractors questionnaire before the contract can be let.
Quotes should be returned by email to email@example.com by 18th December.
Quotes will be scored against the following criteria to achieve best value:
- Ability to deliver the works (proven track record, relevant past experience and availability) – 50%
- Cost – 45%
- Empathy of the Trust’s environmental sustainability policy and environmental procurement policy – 5%
More information is available from Helen Trotman on the email above or 01743 284297.
You can also download the full tender ITT – Viewing Tower Design and Build